Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

French Fridays with Dorie: Short Ribs with Red Wine and Port


Valentine’s Day Supper ~ Part 3

After Christmas I bought Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan. Shortly thereafter I found the group French Fridays with Dorie. Each week we cook one recipe from the book. 

This is the third installment of Rodney and me’s Valentine’s Day Supper. Short Ribs with Red Wine and Port was the recipe for this week’s French Fridays with Dorie challenge. I must say that the first challenge of this recipe was finding short ribs! I had no idea they were so hard to find. Rodney and I went to three different stores to find them. They were also quite expensive; while the meat itself was not that much per pound, twelve ribs came out to over 5 lbs. (Yes, I could have cut the recipe down. I think the need for a whole bottle of wine made me think that I couldn’t. I would cut the recipe in the future.)

The next challenge was finding a cooking vessel big enough for the ribs and all of the veggies and stock. It was a very tight squeeze, but I just managed to get them to fit in my largest covered casserole. They did cook beautifully in it once I had it all arranged.

The biggest challenge had nothing to do with the searching for ingredients or the cooking of the recipe. The biggest challenge was eating it. You see, a few weeks back I had the flu. I became quite ill from it as a matter of fact. Ever since that day I have had trouble eating anything similar to what I ate before the illness set in. Unfortunately that illness came after eating at a Vietnamese restaurant. Vietnamese food, as you may well know, is very influenced by French food. About half way through making this dish I realized that this must be the French version of what I ate that day.  I almost had to leave the kitchen and have Rodney finish making it.

Instead I quickly got everything in the oven and told myself that it would be okay. When it came out and I strained the veggies it would not look like that dish anymore. And it didn’t. The problem was that it still smelled like the dish. So sadly I really did not enjoy these short ribs. Rodney really liked them though. I was able to eat two small ones, but the rest became lunches for Rodney. Who knew that the after effects of the flu could last so long?

The short ribs looked great right out of the broiler.

Look at that tight fit! And that was before I added the stock!
This was also the point where I almost needed to go get Rodney.  

This is the first gremolata that I have ever made or eaten! I loved it. 
I would make it with cilantro next time. The hubbly hates cilantro so I used parsley this time. 

Short rib and gremolata united

The full Valentine's Day Supper. Dessert is yet to come...


18 comments:

  1. Your dinner plate looks SO good! Perfect beef with glaze, frites and beans! Yum! And, it's interesting that several people found the short ribs harder to find. I know that I was somewhat shocked by the price of the ribs myself! Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have been sick! I had a hard time finding the ribs too and was surprised at how expensive they are.

    Your dish looks beautiful and hopefully you will get to make, and enjoy, these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you couldn't enjoy these...your plate looks wonderful, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you were sick. How wonderful that Rodney helped out and ate and enjoyed them though. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and shots. Sorry you have been sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you've been sick and couldn't enjoy the ribs. Bet Rodney was happy to have them for lunch though. I'm with you on the gremolata. While I enjoyed the ribs I loved the gremolata and now want to put it on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you will be able to make and enjoy these some day. Its a wonderful dish! Yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you were ill - I went through that the week we made the beef daube and could never bring myself to eat it! I know I stuffed my pot chock full and paid for it with a messy outside to clean up.
    Your dinner looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the worst when you feel sick after eating something and can't it it for a while...hopefully, it will pass soon and you can enjoy them next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious!! Bummer that you didn't enjoy it all that much. Ugh, the flu had been going around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to read about the impacts of your flu. Your Valentine's Day Supper looks so tasty, so it is really a pity that you weren't able to enjoy it. I hope the effects of your illness will be past soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The photos turned out as great as the food- the one of the full plate has my mouth watering ;) Also sorry to hear about the flu- we had it in this house and it takes a couple of weeks to get back on board. I was glad I was over it before we attempted this recipe. Nana and I enjoyed making it and I can not rave enough about how tender and delicious this meat was. After we moved it to the bigger pot......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully you are feeling better. You absolutely must make these ribs again. We had them with egg noodles and my man is STILL talking about them. Tres french of you to serve them with fries

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ronda, it really is a shame you didn't feel well enough to enjoy this. You did a wonderful job with the challenge and the recipe is delicious. I hope you'll be able to make them again when you are feeling better. Have a good weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dinner looks beautiful! It's a shame that you were sick and couldn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flu just zaps ones energy right out of them. Im glad you were able to cook this wonderful meal! Your short ribs look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry you weren't feeling well when making this dish cuz it is yummy. Glad to hear your 12 ribs came to about 5 pounds because mine did too and the book says it should be about 9 pounds. Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so beautiful; sorry you weren't able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete