Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

My birthday was on Thursday and it started out well with a free coffee from Dunn Bros. (I did not take a picture of that, but I think you can imagine what a take out coffee looked like.) Then I went with my Mother and Uncle to a restaurant called 3 Squares for lunch. I had never been there before, but I was hoping it would be a place that all of us would like. I was not impressed. I would go back maybe once to see if it was better, but it really was only okay.

I had the Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese and a side order of Tempura Green Beans. (I guess I just can’t get enough of green beans this week!) The grilled cheese was really heavy; I could not eat it all. The green beans were not really tempura. They were too heavy to be called tempura and the dipping sauce that came with them was not right. It should be soy-sauce-like not sweet-and-sour-like.  I don’t have a picture of them, but the sweet potato fries were good. Their dipping sauce was also a bit heavy, however. Nevertheless, it was fun eating out with Mom and Uncle.





After lunch they dropped me in Uptown. I wandered around until I needed a snack I went into Lucia’s and had tea and a canalé. It was lovely. It was the perfect thing to tide me over until supper.



For supper Rodney took me to Chino Latino, a fairly trendy restaurant in Uptown Minneapolis. It was very loud and vey dark. I felt a bit too old to be there but after the dink below, I did not care so much!

EL ORGAZMO:
one fresh pineapple blended with Cruzan Pineapple, Don Q Coconut and Bacardi O rums.

We ordered calamari as our appetizer. (We always order calamari the first time we visit a restaurant that has it. Chino Latino does, so we ordered it. It is one of our baseline dishes for new places.) I was not impressed, but it was not bad. Only a few pieces were a bit rubbery, otherwise it was cooked well. Still it did not stand out to me. For our main course we ordered the fish tacos. Now they were really good and fun to eat. A perfect plate to share!

LAMMA ISLAND SALTY SQUID:
crisp fried calamari with a spicy pepper salt from some island in the South China Sea


BAJA BEACH SHACK FISH TACO PLATER
10oz of herb-dusted cod fillets, flash fried and served with crunchy jicama slaw, 
Screamin' Gringo Hot Sauce, guacamole, queso fresco, pico de gallo and fresh corn tortillas

We ended our evening out by going to the play Shirley Valentine at the Jungle Theater. It was really good! I had never seen the original play before. I had seen a version based more on the movie. I enjoyed myself thoroughly!



When I got home I put together a pavlova I had started the day before. It was my “Birthday Cake”.  (I have a long story to share about the pavlova so I will continue it in another post.) It was a great end to a great day!

Okay, I may have had some pavolva issues.
You will have to read the post!

4 comments:

  1. What a great birthday from beginning to end! The fish tacos and the pineapple drink look so good! And the pavlova looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well documented birtday and very interesting to read (and, of course, to look at all the photos)! Next time when I come to France, I will have to find a canalé, I haven't heard of it before (although I grew up near the French border). I'm curious to read more about your pavlova...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday Ronda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley Valentine is a favorite movie, but I had no idea there was a stage version! I shall have to watch for it to appear here in Pittsburgh.

    Thank you for helping with Orphaned Postcard Project! I have the "orphaned" cards ready and they will be in the morning mail.

    And happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete