Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Honey Challenge: Day 1


Okay, I started the Crunchy Betty honey challenge a bit early and started washing my face with honey last night. I mean how could I resist after watching her cute video on how to do it? So far I have not noticed anything amazing happening to my face. It does feel clean, but it also has a sort of tacky-ness to it, which I do not find appealing. It could, however, be the fact that it is super hot and humid in Minnesota right now. (There is a predicted heat index of 117 degrees today! Crazy!) So I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and keep going with it. 

Crunchy Betty has all sorts of interesting homemade ideas on her site. As it happens I have started using one of her other ideas today too. There is a way of washing your hair called no 'poo. For those of you that don't know about it, it consists of washing your hair with a mix of baking soda and water and then rinsing with diluted apple cider vinegar. I have tried this method and found that if my hair was really oily it was fine, but I could not do it several days in a row. My very fine Scandinavian-type hair would become a Medusa-like mess with bits floating and flying about my face. And the texture was really not good, not good at all. 

I do still use the no 'poo method occasionally, but it is not a good everyday plan for me. Then Crunchy Betty put up this post. If you don't want to go read it, the idea is to use a mixture of castile soap and coconut milk to wash your hair with and then to rinse with the same diluted apple cider vinegar. Castile soap on its own does not lather very much, but with the addition of some magical property in coconut milk it makes lathers like crazy!  I know this because I tried it this morning. I bought some Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap on Saturday and yesterday, I made some homemade coconut milk. That meant that this morning I was ready to try Crunchy Betty's Sorta 'Poo method. And I have to say it worked very well. My hair feels very soft and clean. 

I was a bit worried about how much castile soap was suggested per use. One tablespoon a day seamed like a lot of soap to be using. I found, however, that I was able to use half of a that and I still had plenty of suds and lather. She does say that short-haired people could probably use about half of her daily mixture. I do not have short hair, but it may be because my hair is so fine. Also, if you are worried about the smell of the vinegar, don't be. Once your hair is dry the scent is gone. I did see an idea in the comments of the Crunchy Betty post to add orange peal to apple cider vinegar and then to dilute it after it had sat for a bit. I think I might try that too. 

Anyway, I am going to continue on with both the honey challenge and the Sorta No 'Poo for the next two weeks. I will let you know how it goes. 




6 comments:

  1. Indeed, this video in the style of the late 1950s is wonderful - and now I have a song stuck in my head: Kiss me Honey Honey Kiss me...

    It seems that you have found the perfection solution for washing your hair now! Crunchy Betty's blog posts are really worth reading. Well, I'm curious: She suggests some ideas how to reuse the leftover coconut shreds - what did you do with them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I have been singing it too!

    Well...I was naughty and I just tossed the leftover coconut. I used really old coconut that I had in the cupboard. I was on the verge of tossing it when I decided to do this. In the future I might try baking with the leftovers. Rodney hates coconut so it has to be something only I will eat.

    Had you heard of that "benefit of the doubt" idiom before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen some of these homemade remedies, like honey and yogurt facials, so I'm excited to see how your experiment turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I haven't heard the "benefit of the doubt" idiom before. Well, it took some moments for me to guess what I might mean - before clicking the link you had provided (thanks for this!).

    In Germany we use sometimes the Latin idiom "in dubio pro reo" (http://is.gd/I19YU3) to describe this in legal matters, it is an often applied principle of law here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ronda! I used to use a honey and oatmeal scrub on my face when I was a teenager that really did help when I had blemishes. I am also interested in home natural methods for washing hair. I have switched over to natural products in the last few months myself, but I bet the castile soap and cider vinegar would save quite a bit of money. Looking forward to reading more about your experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you able to use the sorta poo every day? I know with her no poo method, you're supposed to do every 3 days (which I haven't tried). I am trying the sorta poo and after the second day in a row, it doesn't feel clean.

    ReplyDelete