Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

And Along Came Marilyn

Today I went to a Church Bazaar with my friend Gladys. I did not plan to buy anything, but then I saw this one lonely teacup. Again it is not floral and it only has the smallest bit of purple, but she was only $2 and the minute I picked her up the name Marilyn rang through my head. I found that a bit strange because I have a first cousin once removed named Marilyn and this teacup does not remind me of her one bit! Still I picked her up and brought her home. And here she is:




As you can see my inaugural tea with Marilyn consisted of cake and a teabag of genmicha tea. Genmicha is my favorite green tea. I love the taste of the roasted brown rice. As you can see it does not brew up very dark. The taste is subtle, but it is lovely. The cake consists of two of my Grandma Alice's recipes. They are from one of her cookbooks. I would tell you the name of the cookbook but the pages with that information are long gone. I think they were a church cookbook because it is one of those cookbooks with the names of the ladies who contributed them under the recipe. Here are the recipes as they are written in the book:


Chocolate Frosting

1 C. sugar
¼ C. cocoa
¼ C. butter or oleo
¼ C. milk

Mix thoroughly, bring slowly to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. As soon as it reaches a full rolling boil remove from heat, cool, and beat.

Mrs. J. A. Kehborn

Lazy Daisy Cake ~ marked Very Good by Grandma H.~

½ C. milk
1 T. butter
2 eggs
1 C. white flour sifted
1 t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
1 t. vanilla

Scald milk to which butter has been added and keep hot while making other ingredients. Beat eggs until light and foamy. Add sugar an beat well. Sift flour, salt and baking powder, add vanilla and hot milk, stirring carefully. Bake in greased pan in 375 ° oven.

Mrs. Dewey Slater

I will warn you that these two are maybe not the best combination. The frosting is a bit too dense for the cake. Still it is mighty tasty!  I did add a pinch of salt to the frosting, just to bring out the flavors. Also, these make a 9x9 inch cake. I plan to make more of Grandma Alice's recipes in the coming months. They make very good companions to a cup of tea,

3 comments:

  1. Welcome, Marilyn! Now, they are three of them. The cake looks so tasty, a very good recipe from your Grandma! I haven't tried green tea yet, but I should look for it when going to my organic grocery next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely teacup! I don't drink much tea, but if I had display space, I'd probably buy teacups just because they are so sweet. I was poking around a bit in a handmade gift gallery the other day and saw a teacup and saucer mounted on a pole, and filled with birdseed. Cute idea for a feeder, but I think the first crow or grackle to land on it would knock it right over.

    Love the arty postcards like this US-867272 you send on Postcrossing. It is nice to see something a bit out of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PostMuse: Oh yes, I love Adam Truman. He makes some great postcards! I find it hard to find non-tourist cards in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I get a bit bored sending the same lake-type scene over and over.

    Thomas: I really like this type of green tea with brown rice. I also like it mixed with mint. I am not a huge fan of it straight. My friend Rainy Dae loves the gunpowder type, which is really strong.

    ReplyDelete