Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

French Friday's with Dorie: Michel Rostang’s Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

This week for French Fridays with Dorie the selected recipe was Michel Rostang’s Double Chocolate Mousse Cake found on page 446 of Dorie’s Around My French Table. It is a wonderful double layered cake that is cleverly made by baking part of the mousse, cooling it and then baking it again with the rest of the mousse. It sounds like a wonderful trick. I, however, wouldn't know because I totally cheated and baked all of the mousse at the same time.

You see I am still feeling quite tired from my bout with the flu last week and the whole thought of all the extra steps just paralyzed me. I was considering not doing the cake at all. Then earlier this week I was watching French Food At Home on the Cooking Channel with Laura Calder and she made a Craggy Chocolate Cake. It sounded a lot like this cake. I compared the ingredients and they were similar, though there are some major differences. So I thought to myself, “Self you could just bake it all at once and use the whole spring form pan.” And I thought back, “Self that is a good plan.”

So what you see below is a cheated version of this cake. It tastes wonderful, but the magical layers are not there. Someday I will make it with the proper way. I am sure it will be fantastic. I am going to have to try Ms. Calder’s cake one day too, you know, just to compare…







10 comments:

  1. No worries, I cheated a little, too - I altered the recipe to make two mini heart cakes! :) Yours looks wonderful with that whipped cream on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cheater version! That's the fun about cooking/ baking at home - there isn't anyone standing over your shoulder telling you that you can't try something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet yours turned out great! With mine, when it was warm, the layers made sense, cold... Not so much. It's great to know that in a pinch (or out of sheer laziness in my case) I could just bake it all at once!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You see, it was a great idea to make the cake though...

    By the way, it is interesting to read that there is a Cooking Channel. I think we don't have something like this here in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was actually wondering how this cake would be if you baked all the batter at once. Thanks for answering it for me! Great post, and I love the purple background of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay--this looks really, really good! Let "self" know, Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, good call...it sure looks wonderful!! (especially with that beautiful cloud of whipped cream on top!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't worry about the layers. i followed all the steps...bake, cool, chill, bake...and still got not layers! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh , i did alter it a little too ,he he!
    But urs is beautiful and looks yummyluscious!
    Am sure the cake made u feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like the texture is slightly different, but it still seems moist and fudgy. Good to know this is possible!

    ReplyDelete