Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Celebrations: Super Bowl Sunday & Brit’s Birthday

I spent most of my life avoiding the Super Bowl at all costs. I did not care about the commercials and I cared even less for the game itself. Then I met my then-husband-to-be and that changed. His family has a Super Bowl party every year. I can’t say that my opinions have really changed, but I have watched the last five Super Bowls.  Still, for me it all about the food and this year was also about our niece Brit’s birthday.

The party this year actually took place at my BIL & SIL-to-be’s home. Everyone brought a little something. For the game we made pizzas. I made the crust using the crust recipe from Jim Lehey’s Pizza Patate. We use this crust often when making pizza. We have found, however, that if you are not making the potato pizza it is best to par-bake the crust for about 10 minutes before putting toppings on it and baking it again. It is much crispier that way. Rodney was in charge of actually making the pizzas. He made one half cheese/half pepperoni and he made the other one half pepperoni, sausage and mushroom (his favorite)/half sausage, onion and green olive (my favorite). I thought they turned out quite nice.

The pepperonis on top show what side is the pepperoni side



After several text messages and Facebook exchanges it was decided that for Brit’s birthday I would make a chocolate cake. The cake part itself was easy; I used the recipe for Dark Chocolate Cake from Food.Com. I made the recipe with no changes. I have never had problems with this recipe and it has a spot in our Tried & Chewed folder. My only suggestion is to use the best quality Dutch-processed cocoa you can find, because the better the quality, the better the cake. 

The frosting was a bit harder. I did not want to use cocoa powder in the frosting. Instead, I had some Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips on hand and I wanted to use those. After a lot of web-surfing I found a great recipe on the Williams-Sonoma site. The recipe called for unsweetened chocolate, but I used the milk chocolate mixed with a bit of Chocolove 77% chocolate. It came out really great. It was all Rodney and I could do to not just eat it out of the bowl! However, as you can see below, I was able to get the cake frosted. The cake and the frosting where a great combination! 

  
There was Neapolitan and Pistachio ice creams to go with the cake. 

The secret to to a tasty cake: 
homemade vanilla made with Calvert Whiskey.

Happy Birthday Brit!!

Today is her actual B-day. She is older than three!



Recipe Links:

4 comments:

  1. The cake looks delicious and tempting! And, that's a smart idea to put the pepperoni on top of the cheese like that as an indicator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Brit ! Many happy return.

    The cake is perfect for special occasion. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, I completely forgot to mention that Brit is our niece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can clearly understand your aversion to all those commercials about the Super Bowl, it's the same problem here in Germany with our national sport soccer: Commercialization everywhere - good old times of the past... I like your pizzas, and I can feel how hard it was not to eat all the chocolate cake out of the bowl!

    ReplyDelete