Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

French Friday's with Dorie: Basque Potato Tortilla

Today’s French Fridays With Dorie recipe is Basque Potato Tortilla. You will find it on page 142 of Dorie’s book Around My French Table. I try to make the FFwD dish early in the week every week, but for some reason it never seems to happen. This week, however, I succeeded in making this on Monday. Yay me!

The one issue I had with the recipe was the potatoes. The thought of potatoes in my eggs grosses me out a little bit. I was going to make the recipe anyway, but then I saw that there was an alternative option to use onions and herbs. So I made that variation. It turned out really well. I used plain old parsley and some fresh rosemary. I loved the herb-y-ness of it. My hubby did not enjoy the herbs as much as I did, but he still ate it. I did serve it with American fries on the side, so there were potatoes involved. (Yes, I can eat potatoes with eggs, just not IN eggs.)

The whole tortilla.

A view of a slice.

A closeup of a slice. I love that one leaf sticking out.

15 comments:

  1. Good for you for making the dish early! I like how nice and brown the top of your tortilla is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the golden brown color is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to try something new! Im glad you liked it! I loved this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not be wild about potatoes in there either. Just about anything would be better in my world too. This looks great! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the golden yellow color of your tortilla! I would have loved to have used mushrooms, but I would have had to eaten the whole thing myself (not all bad).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ronda, you did a great job with this challenge. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really enjoyed my visit. I love the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. The parsley gives your Tortilla a wonderful green touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, actually my top is my bottom. I flipped it when I took it out of the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dish looks lovely! I can't eat eggs IN potatoes, so I get it, I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was tempted to throw some herbs into my tortilla as well--forgot them at home, oh well. Like others, I love your crispy brown crust!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great. Fun to see one of the Bonne Idees put into practice. I do like eggs and potatoes but I will still have to try this some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay! Good on you for getting it done early. I tend to make it Thursday evenings, then I'm late on posting. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete