Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

No Recipe Required: Scrambled Egg Sandwich

I have noticed that over the last few years I have become very dependent on recipes. This is strange because I used to cook dinner several nights a week before I left for college. (My mother worked second shift.) I would come home from school and go to the freezer and decide what we were having. (I grew up on a dairy farm we always had chicken, beef and pork in the freezer.)

Now I pour over cookbooks and recipe sites looking for the right recipe. What happened? Well, of course, my palate changed, but I think the way we eat in general has changed. We are exposed to so many different cuisines now. How could I recreate them with out a recipe? I also think that it is because I now cook for two people and not just for myself. I want each meal to come out tasty and for some reason I do not trust myself to just cook.

I do cook some things for the two of us without recipes. I make meat loaf, French Toast, pork chops with mushrooms and boiled potatoes, and the like. Still I would like to get back to cooking without a needing a recipe close at hand. I want to cook by instinct and by what happens to in the cupboard.

Now, I often do this for lunch; but, then again, I usually eat lunch alone (and thus no one to experiment on but myself). Today, for example, I made myself a scrambled egg sandwich. It is the same scrambled egg sandwich I have been eating since I was a child: scrambled eggs on toast with ketchup. I am not sure that this is exactly what I am going for with the “no recipe required” idea, but I did not need to look at any book to make it!

As a side note: as far as I am concerned this must be served on toast.
It also has to be cut into triangles, or woe unto the person who cut it wrong!

2 comments:

  1. OMG. My father used to make the same kind of sandwich for me, but he added lettuce and mayo as well as ketchup. Ah, memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tasty memory of your childhood (and cut in the right way)!

    ReplyDelete