Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

30 Days of Biking: Day 17

Theme of the Day: Burning Bridges!
My nemesis: the Bunker Lake board bridge. 
Oh, how I hate board bridges! They wobble and they creak and they don't have guard rails! And AND they have water under them! Too scary.

So you would think that I would avoid the one at Bunker Hills Regional now that I know it is there. I had what I thought was a limited time to ride today*.  Because of that I set a course that I knew would be longish, but not too far from home. That meant taking the dreaded bridge. Really, I do not like it much at all. Nevertheless, I set off across it for the second time this month.

Because I was  alone on the bridge, I was actually brave enough to stop and take a few pictures as I crossed it too. I am glad I did too, because I had a surprise!

This is an image right from the edge of the bridge. Look at all that water! I was quite scared. 
But then I saw this bird swim out from behind some cattails. I had never seen one like it before. 
I looked it up, and I think it is an American Coot.  It made the oddest  noises.
I would never have seen it if I had not stopped on the bridge.  
I also saw this Red Winged Blackbird. A very common sight, but still fun to see.  
At the other side of the bridge I found  this Memorial Peace Garden.
It is outside of the Bunker Hills Activities Center.  


In the end I rode a new record of 14.86 miles. I actually officially left Anoka County today and I was in the town of Andover for all of two seconds. 

I realized when I got home that I had meant to ride further north on Hanson to a trail that leads back to Bunker Hills. I think I would have gotten to 15 miles if I had done that. Maybe next time!

View April 17, 2012 in a larger map


*I had a new dryer delivered today. They were supposed to come and install it today too, but they never showed up. Actually, they never called to say they were not coming either. I am very un-amused by this. Now I will need to sit around waiting for them tomorrow. Or worse yet, I might have to make an appointment for yet a later date. No, I am not amused at all. 


UPDATE: It is a good thing I did not go on a ride with Rodney tonight! The install person showed up. Poor thing was running very late. Soon I will have a dryer.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you braved the bridge. What a gift to see those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping spontaneously at such places often gives you exciting surprises - and the sound of the nature is so wonderful!
    Good luck with your new dryer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping spontaneously at such places often gives you exciting surprises - and the sound of the nature is so wonderful!
    Good luck with your new dryer!

    ReplyDelete