Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Crafting: Norwegian House Slippers

I have been doing a lot of crocheting lately. I have been crocheting for many years, but I am not extremely skilled. I am hoping that over the next year to improve my skills. For Christmas I tried to make slippers for everyone, but I did not have enough time. In my search for neat slippers patterns I found a great pattern for crocheted Norwegian House Slippers. They are similar to another pattern I have been working on, but what I liked about these slippers is that they are felted. I thought that felting would make them warmer and more shoe like. So I set out to make a pair. Well I made a few missteps. My biggest mistake was adding the white yarn stripes. Even though the brown and white are the same yarns, the white shrunk more. The other mistake I made was making them too small! If you look at the before picture you would never think that would be a problem. I mean look at them, they are over 18 inches long!



But look what happened when I felted them:



They shrunk over 7 inches! They also puckered along the white yarn lines. I am a bit sad about how they came out. Next I am going to try a similar method, but I am going to use Granny Squares to make them. I wonder how big I am going to need to make them. I suspect that Granny Squares will shrink even more. 

6 comments:

  1. Don't worry, don't be discouraged - they still look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for the encouragement! I have plans for a few more pairs of slippers, so I expect I will improve by the last pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I followed the link over to your blog to comment on your FFwD posts, but these slipper have won me over! They are so cute!! Do you sell them on esty? I see a booming baby slipper business in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my granny used too and still is making these slippers, it was fun to see them in here..they kinda look the same i must add. nice work !!
    (yes she is living in norway too like me)

    ReplyDelete