Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Years!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you enjoyed your New Year’s Eve. I spent it with family. We chatted and snacked and had a jolly good time on our end. My contribution to the party was a Pistachio Cheese Log. I found the recipe a few years back in Everyday Food. It is very simple, yet a bit elegant. The only frustrating bit for me is chopping the pistachios after I roast them. I haven’t found a good nut chopping system, so if you have one let me know!

Pistachio Cheese Log 

8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 tbs. Dijon mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
Salt & Pepper
1 cup shelled unsalted pistachios, roasted and coarsely chopped

Beat the cream cheese, cheddar, Dijon, and Worcestershire until well combined.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover, and refrigerate until slightly firm, 1 to 2 hours.
When firm, shape into log on either wax paper or cling wrap.
Roll in pistachios.
Serve with crackers.

(Oops, I just realized that I forgot to add salt and pepper last night to mine! It was still tasty though.)



(I am sorry the pictures are so bad. I forgot to take a picture before I left the house and I only had my cell phone with me.)


As far as drinks were concerned I mostly had water. However, I did find a new drink that I quite liked. While shopping for our gathering I decide it would be nice to have some Canada Dry Ginger Ale. I usually avoid it because it has high fructose corn syrup, but it always seems so festive. If I had been thinking I would have picked up a natural sugar-only brand when I was at the Wedge earlier in the day, but I was not thinking, so I didn’t. Then I got home and thought it might be nice to mix it with something, so I did an internet search. I looked and looked, but I had trouble finding a recipe that was simply a little bit of alcohol with the ginger ale. Eventually I found this recipe that contained ginger ale, butterscotch schnapps and something called Gentleman. I had no idea what Gentleman was and a further internet search did not clear the matter up. Nevertheless I loved the idea of butterscotch schnapps and ginger ale. So on the way to the gathering we stopped for a bottle of schnapps. It was a very good choice. It was a very seasonal yumminess! And, even though we bought the smallest bottle we could find (350 ml), I have enough for at least a couple of New Year’s to come!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I do love pistachios, yum!

    Strangely, I have not tried Ginger Ale yet, I think I should just do it. The butterscotch mix drink sounds very sweeeeeet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sweet. You have to be very careful not to put too much of the schnapps in.

    ReplyDelete