Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Tried & Chewed: Amish White Bread



I found this recipe for Amish White Bread a year or so ago. I really liked it but it is too sweet for us the way it is written. So I lowered the sugar to a quarter cup or less, sometimes I only use a tablespoon or so. I also use refined coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. (I use coconut oil for most of my oil needs.  If you do the same thing make sure you use refined because it is flavorless, unless you like coconut flavor, which I do, but the hubbles does not.) I have also started to add a cup or more of whole wheat flour. You know to make it a bit more wholesome. In this instance I used White Whole Wheat flour.  I am always looking for new bread recipes, but I always return to this recipe. 

This bread makes really good French Toast and Rodney likes it made into croutons. To make it into croutons I just cut it into cubes drizzle it with good dose of olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and garlic powder. I then put it in the oven at 350 until the cubes are golden brown and crispy, giving them a stir every once in awhile. Rodney actually likes to eat the resulting croutons alone as snack.

White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup refined coconut oil
5 cups bread flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour

1. In a stand mixer, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Let the mixer knead the dough for 5 minutes or so. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.


A warm slice with my homemade Apple Jelly and a cup of Tulsi Tea

3 comments:

  1. I, too, like to eat croutons as a snack sometimes! I'll even sneak in a tablespoon or so of ranch "dipping" sauce. Your loaf turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Amish bread looks really wonderful Rondha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time when going to my favorite grocery I will have to look for Tulsi Tea. It sounds great to have the choice of 18 different flavors, though I'm wondering a bit why the "Sweet Rose" flavor is described on the website as "deeply feminine"...

    ReplyDelete