Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tried & Chewed: Cashew Chicken





Tonight we tried a new recipe. We thought it had promise as a candidate for our Tried & Chewed binder. I found the recipe on the The Kosher Foodies website. I thought it sounded extra tasty, so I made it for supper tonight. I served it over brown basmati rice.

We liked it, but I think we are going to have to tweak the recipe a bit before it makes into our Tried & Chewed binder. It just did not have enough zing. Maybe it was because I used brown rice vinegar? Maybe next time I will use Chinese Black Vinegar. I have a bottle hanging out in my cupboard. I use it for Hot & Sour Soup.

It appears that the original recipe came from Everyday Food. Most of the changes have really been minimal, but I do see one big difference. In that recipe they put the scallion greens in with the cashews. I think I will try that next time with the Chinese Black Vinegar.


Cashew Chicken my adaptation of the recipe from Kosher Foods



Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1” cubes
1 tablespoon cornstarch
salt and pepper
2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Anaheim peppers, cut into 1” pieces
5 scallions, cut into 1” pieces
2 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup toasted cashews (4 oz)



Directions:

1. Toss the chicken in the cornstarch in a medium bowl until coated. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a wok, heat half the oil over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken, tossing for about 3 minutes until browned. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add remaining oil and chicken to the skillet, along with the garlic, green pepper, and leeks. Cook, tossing for another 3 minutes until chicken browns.
4. Return first batch of chicken to the pan. Add vinegar; cook for about 30 seconds until evaporated. Add hoisin sauce water; cook another minute tossing until chicken is cooked through.
5. Stir in cashews and serve over rice.


1 comment:

  1. Although there is a Chinese restaurant in the building where I'm living, I have never tried to eat with chopsticks... Maybe, I will just try it one day - without fear of not knowing exactly how to eat with chopsticks!

    ReplyDelete