Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine’s Day Supper ~ Part 1

Valentine’s Day Supper ~ Part 1

As I said yesterday, I made a complicated meal for Valentine’s Day supper. However, because I used that meal as a way to make several recipes for both of my cooking clubs, I can not tell you about all parts of the meal just yet. I am sure if you are part of French Friday’s with Dorie, or if you read the comments from my post from last week, you know most of what the menu consisted of. I will post about each item on its appropriate day. I will have the whole meal posted by the end of the month.Today I am going to talk about the two items we had that were not part of either club.

I needed a starchy something to go with the meal, so I made roasted parsnips. I peeled and chopped the parsnips into fry-like sticks. I then tossed them with garam masala (from Penzey’s) and S & P. I roasted them for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees. I needed to reheat them after the meat was done and I don’t think it was a good plan. They ended up being a bit tough. It is times like these when I wish I had two ovens. I think they would have been much better directly out of the oven. Still, all-in-all they were tasty enough.



After dessert I had a small glass of Chateau de Beaulon Pineau des Charentes. It is a delicious fruity sweet wine. I love it. I discovered it when Rodney took me out for my birthday in 2008 to a now defunct restaurant. They served with dessert. I enjoyed it do much that we walked across the street to Surdyk's and bought a bottle on the way home that night. (This is not that same bottle.) 




Come back Friday to read Valentine’s Day Supper ~ Part 2!

5 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to your Valentine's supper. I really appreciated your wine recommendation. I have to try and find a bottle of it. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind you, I am not much of a wine expert, but I hope you like it. A little goes a long way. It is quite sweet, but it is great for sipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The parsnips sound good with the garam masala. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I can wait what it is going to be on Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of parsnips before. Well, according to (German) Wikipedia, they have been staple food here until the 18th century, but nowadays they are almost completely unknown: Times are changing.
    By the way, the shape of the wine glass is quite interesting (and unusual for someone from Germany), surely ideal for sipping...

    ReplyDelete