Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

French Friday's with Dorie: Orange-Almond Tart

After Christmas I bought Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan. Shortly thereafter I found the group French Fridays with Dorie. Each week we cook one recipe from the book. 

This week’s French Food with Dorie recipe was an Orange-Almond Tart. Oh, how I loved the sound of that! Oranges are just so perfect at this time of year. They are in season and they remind you that the sun will return. 

However, there were a couple of issues with it on my end:

One, I could find no one who wanted to eat it with me. And I just could not eat a whole tart because…

Two, next week is both my birthday and Valentines Day. I expect there will be an over supply of sugar heading my way. I could not justify this tart, Brit’s cake and next weeks’ sugar overload.

Then there is three, I am going off sugar after my birthday. I have been eating far too much sugar in the last few months. So for health and figure reasons I am cutting sugar out. I will elaborate on this plan in the next week or so.

Now go look at the other participant’s tarts. I expect they will be fabulous, as usual. I will be back next week with Short Ribs in Red Wine and Port. (Oh my, that sounds quite decedent! Hmm….I am not sure the cooking budget will allow for all that extra alcohol. We shall have to see…)

10 comments:

  1. We'll miss you this week! Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should go off sugar, too...good luck!!!! See you next week~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for trying to lay off the sugar. I don't think I could do it! Have a great birthday. See you rib week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would have been so interesting to see your Orange-Almond Tart... instead I'm looking forward to next week's Ribs! Oh, by the way, even if oranges are not among my preferences, orange is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your will power! I have none, so I went for the tart! My figure could use a break from sugar, too, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, looking forward to having you back next week with the green beans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! It is green beans next week! I was looking too far ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed how you still posted even though you didn't participate in the recipe this week. We usually have company over to help us devour our sweets (we're more savory in our house) but not this time. I should have skipped this weeks too but the results were pretty great. Looking forward to seeing your green beans next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my new years resolutions ( i have a zillion) is to slay the sugar dragon. So far I'm doing ok. I made the tart, had a slice, will give a slice to the man and the rest goes to work. Let them eat tart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds delightful and I would have been glad to share it with you!

    As for the sugar - if I may be so bold - be gentle with yourself. "Eliminating" anything we have a relationship with is a challenge. Sometimes keeping it at a distance is gentler. Besides, we all need a little sweetness in our lives from time to time. :)

    On this topic, check out the Blog "Eating … the Angel Way" at http://eatingtheangelway.blogspot.com/ ♡

    ReplyDelete