Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day! ~or~ Hankies - Part 1



It is a grey and gloomy Earth Day here in Minneapolis. According to Weather.com we might see a glimpse of the sun for an hour or so this morning, but that my dears will be all we get and then later it is supposed to rain. I am going to try to be out walking during that sliver of sun, but the rest of the day will be spent indoors.

I have a plan, however, to fill those indoor hours: I am going to make hankies from old sheets! Rodney and I have at least two old sheets with holes in them. I have been saving them because I knew I could make something out of them. Well after we went through TEN boxes of Puffs in March, I think I know what we need: Hankies! And lots of them!

My plan is to get a good start on some hankies today. First I will need to rip the elastic out of the sheets and then I will need to cut them to the right size. (Hmmm…I wonder how big a hankie should be? Tissue size? Napkin size?) After I get everything cut comes the really hard part: convincing my sewing machine to sew. It has been being quite stubborn lately.

I will post pictures when I get them done. I am not sure I really need 2-3 sheets worth of hankies. What else could I make with them? Napkins, of course, but I have several cloth napkins. Any ideas out there?

I have to get ready for my walk now, or I will miss my short time window of sun and no rain. Have a great Earth Day! 

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, Earth Day is quite unknown here in Germany, it would be really good if more people would be aware of the protection of Mother Earth.
    I hope you were able to enjoy a sunny walk in the morning! By the way, is Good Friday a holiday there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun did not come out at all, but it also has not rained. I did see two deer on my walk. One was only about 10 feet from me. It was so cool!

    We do not have a Good Friday holiday here. Some employers might give the day off, but they do not have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was cloudy yesterday here as well, Ronda. We had an Earth Day celebration downtown on Thursday that I went to and it was nice to see so many people out with their children. There is also another celebration across town today.

    What a great way to use on old sheets - for hankies! I also think making napkins out of them would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to think how things we might throw away can be reused. I'll be interested to see your completed project. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ronda. I've tagged you over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete