Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Whose idea was this weather?

Okay, I just stopped by to complain about the weather. A couple of weeks ago it was 103° here in Minneapolis. 103°! In early June! In Minneapolis! That is just crazy. There have been tornadoes and thunderstorms too. As a matter of fact we had a slight touchdown less than 2 miles from us on Tuesday. Poor Walter and I had to hit the basement for a bit.

The only good thing about all of this weirdness is that it gives me time to make jam. For you see my friends have started to call me Rhubarb Ronda. I have accumulated about 12 gallons of frozen rhubarb that I am now making into various yummies. So far I have made Rhubarb Wine, Rhubarb Vodka, Rhubarb Bars and Rhubarb Jam. Today I am going to make one final double batch of Rhubarb Jam and then I need to find other things to do with rhubarb. I am considering making Rhubarb Mead and maybe just some plain Rhubarb Syrup for flavoring beverages and such. In the back of my head I have an idea for Rhubarb Hard Candies. I can always keep the rhubarb frozen and make bars and such throughout the year.

Of course the other thing the odd weather is good for is giving me time to sew. I am making headway on my handkerchief project. The sewing machine has decided to co-operate and I have found a quick way to finish each one. I had been folding each edge, but that was t-e-d-i-o-u-s. Now I am just zigzagging the raw edges. I mean we are just going to blow our noses on it right? If I were making them for gifts then I would fold the edges and make them all pretty. However, I have two more sheets to do after I finish this one, so a nice zigzag will do!

So, I have been busy with all sorts of stuff this spring, but I just have not been reporting them here. I try will to change that over the next week or so. Assuming that is that we don't have a freak summer-time blizzard with an earthquake at the end.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I forgot to mention that it is only supposed to be 60° or so today. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and I forgot to mention the Rhubarb Sauce I made and put on Oven Pancakes. (Actually, my family called them Finnish Pancakes, but most people know them as Oven Pancakes.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness, again a tornado that hit the Twin Cities area! Hopefully your house and all the plants in your backyard haven't suffered any damage.

    I have not tried mead yet. In Germany, you can find it on Christmas Markets, so maybe I give it a try next winter. But first, let's hope for a real and normal summer soon...

    ReplyDelete