Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

French Friday's with Dorie: Paris Mushroom Soup

As I said in an earlier post I have joined a group called French Fridays with Dorie. Together we are working our way through Dorie Greenspan’s book “Around My French Table”(AMFT). This week's recipe is Paris Mushroom Soup (page 72). It was a fairly simple recipe to make. Next time I need to refine my technique, but it came out very well.

The recipe calls for making a “salad” and putting the soup over it. I quite liked the play of textures that gave. To go along with the soup we had Levain Bread from Rustica Bakery with White Bean Dip from Surdyk’s. It was a lovely accompaniment!





Now the soup was supposed to have crème fraîche on top of it and Dorie has a recipe for it on page 491. I had all the ingredients so I made some. I suppose that means this was the first recipe I made from AMFT, but we will just let that go. When I checked it yesterday morning it didn't seem right. So I bought some when I was out yesterday afternoon. Well I completely forgot to put it on the soup! Then, last night, when I checked the crème fraîche I had made at home it seemed ready. It has a more sour smell than the store bought, but it tastes about the same. The only problem is that now I have a lot of crème fraîche to use up! 


8 comments:

  1. I love that you have an overabundance of creme fraiche. Your soup with that bread looks very rustic and very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit that bakery, their menu is so tasty (they have Kouign Amann, a delicious pastry from Brittany)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to go there this weekend for a Chocolate Croissant. Maybe I can convince Rodney to get the Kouign Amann, then I can try a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bean spread on the bread looks like a wonderful way to enjoy the soup- it looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What perfect accompaniaments! Welcome to FFWD...I'm sure you'll have a terrific time cooking with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the group! There are a number of recipes in the book that require crème fraiche, so I expect you'll be out of it again soon.

    ReplyDelete